Points to Remember:
- Suranga Bawadi has been included in the World Monument Watch list for 2020 along with 24 other monuments from across the world.
- The World Monuments Watch is a global program launched in 1995 by World Monuments Fund.
- It aims to identify imperiled cultural heritage sites and provide direct financial and technical support for their preservation.
- Suranga Bawadi is an integral part of the ancient Karez system of supplying water through subterranean tunnels built during the Adil Shahi era in the 16th century in Vijayapura,Karnataka.
- The magnificent underground system was built to supply water to the city which had a population of nearly 12 lakh then.
- Suranga Bawadi has been selected under the ‘Ancient Water System of the Deccan Plateau’ by World Monuments Fund.
- The inclusion will help Suranga Bawadi to get funds for restoration within the next two years.
About World Monuments Fund:
- World Monuments Fund(WMF) is a private, international, non-profit organization founded in 1965.
- It is is headquartered in New York,USA.
- It is dedicated to the preservation of historic architecture and cultural heritage sites around the world through fieldwork, advocacy, grantmaking, education, and training.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Suranga Bawdi, which has recently been included in the 2020 World Monuments Watch List, was built during which era in the 16th century? Adil Shahi era
- Where is Suranga Bawdi, recently included in the 2020 World Monuments Watch List located? Karnataka