Points to Remember:
- Scientists have observed the ‘cosmic web’ phenomenon for the first time.
- The observations reveal that an ancient cluster of galaxies about 12 billion light years away in the constellation of Aquarius are linked together by a network of faint gas filaments.
- The observations of the cosmic web bolster the cold dark matter theory of galaxy formation.
What is Cosmic web?
- Cosmic web is a network of filaments of dark matter, believed by many astronomers to form the basis of the Universe. It describes three dimensional distribution of matter in space. In simple words, cosmic web describes the distribution of galaxies in space.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- For the first time, scientists have directly observed something called ___ a vast network of hydrogen channels believed to connect all the galaxies in the universe. Cosmic web