Points to Remember:
- Sahitya Akademi award winner and an eminent Punjab writer, Professor Niranjan Singh Tasneem passed away aged 91
- Born in Amritsar on May 1, 1929, Tasneem had served as a professor at SCD Government College, Ludhiana. Tasneem had received Bhartiya Sahitya Akademi award in 1999 for his novel ‘Gwache Arth’ and Punjabi Sahit Rattan Award in 2015.
- He started writing in Punjabi at the age of 35 and has been contributing to Punjabi literature for the past 51 years. Prior to writing in Punjabi, he used to write in English and Urdu. He has also written 12 books in English and two Urdu novels.
- But his true calling was for Punjabi. He has written 10 novels, 10 literary books in Punjabi. ‘Ik Hor Nawan Saal’, ‘Jadon Saver Hoi’, ‘Ret Chhal’, ‘Talaash Koi Sadeevi’, ‘Hanera Hon Tak’, ‘Parchhawein’ and ‘Gwache Arth’ were some of the Punjabi novels penned by him
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- NS Tasneem, who recently passed away, was an eminent writer in which regional language? Punjabi
- In which year, NS Tasneem had received Bhartiya Sahitya Akademi award for his novel ‘Gwache Arth’? 1999