Points to Remember:
- Leh District Deputy Commissioner, Sachin Kumar Vaishya, launched Rotavirus vaccine in the district.
- At a programme organized in SNM Hospital, Mr Kumar said the country is losing valuable lives due to Rotavirus infection.
- He appealed to all medical staff and parents to administer vaccine to children, which he said is available free of cost
at all primary health centres in the district.
- Leh Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Motup Dorjey said, rotavirus vaccine has been launched across Jammu and Kashmir state.
What is Rotavirus?
- Rotaviruses are the most common cause of diarrhoeal disease among infants and young children.
- Nearly every child in the world is infected with a rotavirus at least once by the age of five.
- Immunity develops with each infection, so subsequent infections are less severe; adults are rarely affected.
- There are nine species of the genus, referred to as A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I. Rotavirus A, the most common species, causes more than 90% of rotavirus infections in humans.
- The virus is transmitted by the faecal-oral route. It infects and damages the cells that line the small intestine and causes gastroenteritis (which is often called “stomach flu” despite having no relation to influenza).
- Rotavirus was discovered in 1973 by Ruth Bishop and her colleagues by electron micrograph images
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Who has recently launched Rotavirus vaccine in Leh district? Sachin Kumar Vaishya
Read More at NewsOnAir