Points to Remember:
- Rafael Mariano Grossi of Argentina has been elected as the new Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency. In the final balloting, Grossi received the required majority from the IAEA Board of Governors to be appointed new Director General.
- Grossi succeeds Yukiya Amano of Japan, who passed away in July.
- The Argentine received the support of 24 members of the 35-nation Board of Governors, ahead of Romania’s Cornel Feruta with 10 votes. A further board meeting, which is open to all IAEA member states, will be held to appoint Grossi, a press release from IAEA said.
- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is an international organization that seeks to promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy, and to inhibit its use for any military purpose, including nuclear weapons.
- Formation: 29 July 1957
- Headquarters: Vienna, Austria
- Membership: 171 Member States
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Who has been elected to head the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)? Rafael Mariano Grossi
- Recently Rafael Grossi has been elected as the new International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) head.Where is the headquarters of IAEA situated? Austria