Points to Remember:
- World number five PV Sindhu became the first ever Indian badminton player to win gold medal at the BWF World Championships.
- The 24-year-old defeated world number four Nozomi Okuhara of Japan with a scoreline of 21-7, 21-7.
- Apart from the two silvers Sindhu won in the last two editions, she had also won the bronze in 2013 and 2014.
- Sindhu’s gold is the second medal that India won at the Worlds this year with Sai Praneeth winning a bronze in men’s singles category.
About PV Sindhu :
- Pusarla Venkata Sindhu (born 5 July 1995)is an Indian professional badminton player.
- She is the first Indian to win the BWF World Championships.
- She is also one of the two Indian badminton players to ever win an Olympic medal – the other being Saina Nehwal.
- In 2013, she became the first ever Indian women’s singles player to win a medal at the Badminton World Championships
- In 2019, she became the second woman after Zhang Ning to win five medals at the world championships.
- In March 2015, she is the recipient of India’s fourth highest civilian honor, the Padma Shri.
About 2019 BWF World Championships :
- The Total 2019 BWF World Championships is a badminton tournament which is held from 19 to 25 August at St. Jakobshalle in Basel, Switzerland
- Edition: 25th
- Men’s singles: Kento Momota (Japan)
- Women’s singles: P. V. Sindhu (India)
- Men’s doubles: Mohammad Ahsan (Indonesia), Hendra Setiawan (Indonesia)
- Women’s doubles: Mayu Matsumoto (Japan), Wakana Nagahara (Japan)
- Mixed doubles: Zheng Siwei (China), Huang Yaqiong (China)
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Who became the first Indian to win gold medal at the BWF World Championships? PV Sindhu
- Which Indian badminton player won a bronze in men’s singles category at 2019 BWF World Championships? Sai Praneeth
Read More at IndiaToday