Points to Remember:
- The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will dedicate to the nation India’s second riverine Multi Modal terminal built at Sahibganj in Jharkhand on 12 September, 2019.
- The Prime Minister will inaugurate the state of the art terminal through a two -way digital communication system at an event in Ranchi, Jharkhand.
- Built at a cost of Rs 290 crores in a record time of about two years, the Prime Minister himself had laid the foundation stone of IWAI’s Sahibganj multimodal terminal in April, 2017.
- This is the second of the three Multi Modal Terminals being constructed on river Ganga under Jal Marg Vikas Project (JMVP).
- Earlier, in November, 2018 the Prime Minister had inaugurated the MMT at Varanasi.
- The Multi-Modal terminal at Sahibganj will open up industries of Jharkhand and Bihar to the global market and provide Indo-Nepal cargo connectivity through waterways route.
- Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) is the project Implementing Agency.
Salient features of Sahibganj Multi Modal Terminal:
- Second Multi-Modal Terminal on National Waterway -1 (river Ganga)
- Cost of Phase-I of MMT: Rs 290 Cr
- Start date of the project: 10 November, 2016
- Completion date of the project: September, 2019
- Jetty: Length 270 m x Width 25 m with berthing and mooring facility.
- 1 Mobile Harbour Crane
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Where did India’s second Multi Modal Terminal on Ganga will be inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi? Sahibganj, Jharkhand
- What is the cost incurred to build India’s second Multi Modal Terminal at Sahibganj in Jharkhand? Rs 290 crores