Points to Remember:
- PM Narendra Modi has received the ‘Global Goalkeeper Award’ for the ‘Swachh Bharat’ campaign from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- The cleanliness campaign was launched by the Modi government during its first term on October 2, 2014.
- The campaign benefited women the most.
- The Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, launched on October 2, 2014, is an ambitious mission of the Narendra Modi-led government to improve sanitation in India.
- Under the mission, the central government kept the target of making India ‘Open Defecation Free’ by 2019.
About the Global Goalkeeper Award:
- The Goalkeepers, Global Goals Awards aim to highlight the extraordinary stories of remarkable individuals who are taking action to give life to the global goals and help achieve by 2030.
- The fourth edition of the awards was presented on September 24, 2019.
- The 2019 Goalkeepers, Global Goals Awards were presented in five categories- Progress Award (age 16 – 30), Changemaker Award (age 16 – 30), Campaign Award (age 16 – 30), Goalkeepers Voice Award (any age) and the Global Goalkeeper Award (any age).
- The Global Goalkeeper Award aims to recognise a political leader for his/ her commitment to the global goals through impactful work in their country.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- This year who has been bestowed with the Global Goalkeeper Award from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation? Narendra Modi
- The Global Goalkeeper Award is conferred by whom? Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation