Points to Remember:
- PM Narendra Modi launched ‘Fit India Movement’ on the occasion of National Sports Day.
- “On this day a great sportsperson was born, Major Dhyan Chand. He amazed the world with his fitness, stamina, and hockey stick,” he said. He’ll also administer a fitness pledge to encourage people to inculcate physical activity and sports in their everyday lives.
- The inaugural event will be held at Indira Gandhi Stadium Complex in New Delhi, where the PM will administer a fitness pledge to the people of the country.
- On this day, President of India honours eminent sports personalities with major awards including Khel Ratna, Arjuna Awards, Dronacharya Awards and Dhyan Chand Award.
- In 2019, two athletes have been nominated by the Selection Committee for sports awards in highest sporting honour in the country – Khel Ratna. Wrestler Bajrang Punia and Rio Paralympics silver medalist Deepa Malik have been nominated for the award. Khel Ratna is awarded to athletes for spectacular and outstanding performance in the field of sports over a period of four years.
- Cricketers Ravindra Jadeja and Poonam Yadav are on the list of Arjuna awardees among 17 others.
When is National Sports Day celebrated in India?
- The National Sports Day is celebrated on 29 August, on the birth anniversary of hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand, who is regarded as nation’s greatest hockey player of all time.
- Popularly known as “The Wizard” for his magical touch, superb control, creativity and extraordinary goal-scoring feats, Chand was instrumental in taking Indian hockey to greater heights under his talismanic leadership.
- The late hockey player had led India to three Olympic gold medals in the years – 1928, 1932 and 1936. He had scored over 400 goals in 22 years, spanning from 1926 to 1948.
- He was bestowed with India’s third-highest civilian honour, Padma Bhushan in 1956. Regarded as the greatest of all-time, Chand also served in the Indian Army and brought laurels to the country.
- The noteworthy memorial for him is the Major Dhyan Chand Award, the highest award for lifetime achievement in sports and games in India.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- PM Narendra Modi has launched which nation-wide movement on National Sports Day 2019? ‘Fit India Movement’
- India celebrates National sports day on 29 august to mark the birth anniversary of hockey legend: Major Dhyan Chand
Read More at Business Today