Points to Remember:
- In a first, the Kerala government has decided to appoint women as drivers in government departments and public sector undertakings.
- The decision was taken in a meeting chaired by the state’s Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
- This has been done based on the government’s policy of following gender neutrality in all sectors.
- Proper training and encouragement will be given to women by the Kerala State Women Development Corporation (KSWDC).
- Earlier Kerala government started ‘She-Taxi’ in the state but couldn’t successful, now ‘She-Taxi’ drivers will find jobs in PSU’s and government departments.
- ‘She-Taxi’ was launched by the state government on November 2013 with an aim to provide self-employment opportunities to women.
This initiative bagged the Chief Minister’s Award for Innovation in Public Policy in 2014.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Governor: P. Sathasivam
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Which state government has approved the appointment of women drivers for the state government and PSU vehicles? Kerala
- Who is the current Chief Minister of Kerala? Pinarayi Vijayan
- ‘She-Taxi’was the initiative of which state government? Kerala