Points to Remember:
- An IIT-Delhi-incubated start-up working on the design and development of inclusive learning resources for visually impaired people won the award for developing a multisensory kit. The device narrates the content in the picture when a visually impaired person touches it.
- Ankita Gulati, founder of TouchVision was awarded the NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Award 2019. Ms. Gulati, who did her Masters from Indira Gandhi Delhi Technical University for Women (IGDTU), has worked for over last four years at Assistive Technologies Lab, IIT-Delhi to bring this concept to a user-friendly product.
- The institute said that TouchVision aims at digital inclusion for 253 million persons with visual impairment globally.
About NCPEDP MphasiS Universal Design Awards:
- The NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Awards are given every year to honour individuals and organisations doing exemplary work towards the cause of accessibility and thus ensuring a life of equality and dignity for persons with disabilities.
- In order to spread awareness on Universal Design and to popularise this concept, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP), with the support of Mphasis, instituted these award in 2010.
- Every year, these are given away in 3 categories: People with disabilities; Working Professionals’ and Corporates or Organisations.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Which IIT Delhi incubated startup founded by Ankita Gulati won the NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Award 2019? TouchVision
- Under which category, Ankita Gulati founder of TouchVision was awarded the NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Award 2019? Working Professionals