Points to Remember:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a memorial in the honour of the victims of two Air India crashes at the foothills of the Mont Blanc mountain in France in which several Indians, including Homi J. Bhabha, regarded as the father of India’s nuclear programme, were killed.
- The memorial at Nid d’Aigle, at the foot of Mount Blanc, was dedicated to Homi J. Bhabha and several other Indians who were among the passengers and crew of the two Air India planes that crashed in 1950 and 1966.
About Homi J. Bhabha (Static GA/GK Important for RRB NTPC/IBPS RRB Mains 2019) :
- Dr Homi Jehangir Bhabha (30 October 1909 – 24 January 1966) was an Indian nuclear physicist, founding director, and professor of physics at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR).
- Colloquially known as “father of the Indian nuclear programme”,Bhabha was also the founding director of the Atomic Energy Establishment, Trombay (AEET) which is now named the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre in his honour.
- TIFR and AEET were the cornerstone of Indian development of nuclear weapons which Bhabha also supervised as director
- Born: 30 October 1909 Bombay, British India (present-day Mumbai India)
- Died: 24 January 1966 (aged 56)Mont Blanc, Alps
- Cause of death: Air India Flight 101 crash
- Adams Prize (1942)
- Padma Bhushan (1954)
- Nobel Prize for Physics in 1951 and 1953–1956
About France (Static GA/GK Important for RRB NTPC/IBPS RRB Mains 2019) :
- Capital: Paris
- President: Emmanuel Macron
- Prime Minister: Édouard Philippe
- Currency: Euro
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Which Indian personality has inaugurated a memorial in the honour of the victims of two Air India crashes at the foothills of Mont Blanc in France? Narendra Modi
- Who is known as the father of the Indian nuclear programme? Homi J. Bhabha
- Who is the current President of France? Emmanuel Macron
Read More at The Hindu