Points to Remember:
- Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg has been awarded the 2019 Right Livelihood Award, also known as Sweden’s ‘alternative Nobel Prize’.
- The 16-year-old was recognised “for inspiring and amplifying political demands for urgent climate action reflecting scientific facts”, the prize foundation said.
- Other winners include Aminatou Haidar, Davi Kopenawa and Guo Jianmei.
- In 1980, German-Swedish writer Jakob von Uexküll founded the Right Livelihood Award, widely known as the “alternative Nobel Prize.”
- Over the last four decades, 174 people from 70 different countries have been awarded the prize. This year, the recipients hail from Western Sahara, China, Sweden and Brazil.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- What is the name of the Award which is also considered as the “alternative Nobel Prize”? Right Livelihood Award
- This year who has been honoured with the 2019 Right Livelihood Award? Greta Thunberg, Aminatou Haidar, Davi Kopenawa and Guo Jianmei