Points to Remember:
- Ten-man Gokulam Kerala Football Club defeated Mohun Bagan 2-1 and lift the 129th Durand Cup in their debut appearance after a thrilling final at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan in Kolkata
- City soccer giants Mohun Bagan, who last won the Durand Cup in 2000, have now lost in three finals on the trot (2004, 2009, 2019).
About Durand Cup:
- The Durand Football Tournament or Durand Cup is a football competition in India which was first held in 1888.
- It is co-hosted by the Durand Football Tournament Society (DFTS) and Osians
- The Tournament is the oldest football tournament in Asia and third oldest football tournament in the world
- The matches were played across three locations in West Bengal, namely Kolkata, Howrah and Kalyani from 2 August 2019. This was for the first time that the tournament played outside Delhi, its traditional venue. The final took place at the Salt Lake Stadium on 24 August 2019.
- Current champions: Gokulam Kerala (1st title)
- Runners-up: Mohun Bagan
- Top goal scorer: Marcus Joseph (11 goals)
About Gokulam Kerala F.C.:
- Gokulam Kerala Football Club is an Indian professional football club based in Kozhikode, Kerala.
- The club has competed as a member of I-League under license from All India Football Federation (AIFF).
- Gokulam FC is the current champions in Durand Cup.
- Owner: Sree Gokulam Group
- Chairman: Gokulam Gopalan
- Head Coach: Fernando Andres Santiago Valera
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Who won the 2019 Durand Cup? Gokulam Kerala
- Durand Cup is related to which sport? Football
Read More at TheHindu