Points to Remember:
- Former Manchester United forward Eric Cantona is set to be given the UEFA President’s Award at the Champions League group stage draw event in Monaco.
- “This award not only recognises his career as a player of the highest calibre, but also honours him for the person he is,” UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin said in a statement.
About Eric Cantona:
- Eric Daniel Pierre Cantona is a French actor and former professional footballer.
- Cantona won four Premier League titles in five years with United in the 1990s and scored 64 goals for the Old Trafford club in 143 appearances.
- The former Auxerre, Marseille, Nimes and Leeds United player won 45 caps with France and tried his hand at acting and beach soccer following his retirement in 1997.
- Cantona supports the Common Goal initiative, which funds soccer charities worldwide, and contributes 1% of his annual salary to the project co-founded by United’s Juan Mata.
- Former England captain David Beckham won the award in 2018.
About UEFA President’s Award:
- The UEFA President’s Award recognises outstanding achievements, professional excellence and exemplary personal qualities. The accolade, first introduced by UEFA in 1998, is usually awarded annually to a football personality who is deemed to have advanced the game’s development and success
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Who has been selected as the recipient of the 2019 UEFA President’s Award? Eric Cantona
- Eric Cantona, who is in news recently, is related to which sport? Football
- UEFA President’s Award is related to which sport? Football
Read More at India Today