Points to Remember:
- An endangered yellow-eyed penguin has won New Zealand’s coveted Bird of the Year competition after two weeks of intense campaigning.
- The hoiho saw off more than five rivals to become the first penguin to win the annual honour in its 14-year history.
- With only 225 pairs left on New Zealand’s mainland, the hoiho is said to be the rarest penguin in the world.
- Experts say the hoiho is an anti-social bird that communicates with a high-pitched scream.
The bird won 12,022 out of the 43,460 votes cast and verified, organisers said.
- Previous winners include the kereru, a type of wood pigeon, in 2018 and the kea, a species of large parrot, in 2017.
About New Zealand:
- New Zealand is a country in the southwestern Pacific Ocean consisting of 2 main islands, both marked by volcanoes and glaciation.
- Capital: Wellington
- Prime minister: Jacinda Ardern
- Currency: NZ Dollar
- Central bank: Reserve Bank of New Zealand
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- What is the name of the antisocial penguin who has been voted as the NZ’s bird of the year? Hoiho
- Hoiho which has been chosen as the NZ’s bird of the year 2019, is a yellow eyed___. penguin