Points to Remember:
- Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) has selected Pramod Agarwal, a 1991 batch IAS from Madhya Pradesh cadre as the next chairman of Coal India.
- He will take over after the present chairman A K Jha retires in January 2020.
- Agarwal is currently principal secretary for urban development and housing department in Madhya Pradesh.
- Coal India has had two IAS officers as its chairman in entire history. The first being, S. Narsing Rao, who took over in April 2012. He was succeeded by Sutirtha Bhattacharya, also an IAS officer, who retired in August 2017.
- The company also has a history of being run by government and defence officials. Its first chairman was Lieutenant General K S Garewal while there has been numerous chairman from public sector companies in the past.
About Coal India:
- Founded: 1975
- Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal, India
- Chairman & Managing Director: Anil Kumar Jha
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Who has been selected as the next chairman of Coal India? Pramod Agarwal
- Who is the current chairman of Coal India? Anil Kumar Jha
- Where is the headquarters of Coal India Limited (CIL)? Kolkata
Read More at Economic Times