Points to Remember:
- Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways and MSME Shri Nitin Gadkari and Shri Jitendra Singh, MoS (I/C) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space announced renaming of Chenani Nashri Tunnel on NH 44 in Jammu & Kashmir as Dr Syama Prasad Mookerjee Tunnel in an event in New Delhi.
- This 9 km tunnel is the longest such state of art tunnel in the country, connecting Udhampur to Ramban in Jammu.
- Constructed at a cost of Rs 2500 crore, it cuts down 31 km of travel distance and reduces the travel time between the two
points by about two hours, in addition to substantial saving in fuel cost.
- Speaking on the occasion Shri Gadkari said the renaming of the tunnel is a fitting tribute to Dr Syama Prasad Mookerjee, who sacrificed his life for the country and has been a source of inspiration for the nation.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Recently, Government has renamed Chenani-Nashri tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir as___. Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee Tunnel