CDS Syllabus 2019: CDS Exam Pattern Paper Section-Wise Topics
UPSC conducts CDS (Combined Defence Services) Exams two times every year. Combined Defense Services exams are conducted by the UPSC for recruiting candidates for the military services in India and fill nearly 300-400 Defense Officers every year in all three branches that are Army, Navy and Air Force Officer.
- This exam provides a national-level approach for aspirants who wish to join Indian Defence Services and serve the country.
- If you are aspiring to sit in these exams, you should have a thorough knowledge of CDS Syllabus 2019 along with the CDS Exam Pattern.
- CDS Exams are conducted every year for recruiting candidates in different fields like Indian Military Academy (IMA), Officer Training Academy (OTA), Airforce Academy and Naval Academy.
- As this exam is conducted for Defence Services, the eligibility criteria are very specific depending on the branch you want to join in.
- The basic eligibility criteria for undertaking this exam is that the candidate should be between 18 to 25 years but it varies from the branch you want to join in, along with that the person should be an Indian and also be unmarried and a graduate.
- Both male and female candidates can apply for this exam but females can only join the OTA (Officer Training Academy) and male candidates can choose from any four options.
This was the basic eligibility that you should qualify for the exam but depending on the branch of army you want to join, the eligibility for appearing in this exam differs. Here you are going to get the complete information regarding the Exam Eligibility, CDS Exam pattern and CDS Syllabus 2019 and much more.
- If you wish to join the Army services, then talking about eligibility, you should be at least a graduate in any stream whereas, for Air Force and Navy, you should be a graduate in Maths, Physics, and Chemistry as main subjects in your graduation. If you are in the final year of your graduation, you can still opt-in for giving this exam.
Age eligibility and education eligibility for giving this exam in all four branches are as below:
- For Officers Training Academy (OTA): 19-25 years with 60% aggregate in any subject
- For Indian Military Academy (IMA): 19-24 Years with 60% aggregate in any subject
- For Airforce Academy: 19-23 years with graduation in science stream (Maths, Physics, and Chemistry)
- For Naval Academy: 19-22 years with an engineering qualification is mandatory
As far as the CDS Exam is concerned, you should know everything related to the Exam Syllabus and pattern as well. The CDS Exam has three parts that mainly consists of English (Code No. 01), General Knowledge (Code no. 2), and Mathematics (Code No. 3) each allotted time of 2 hours and maximum marks for the exams is 100.
These are the three different exams that are going to take place when you undertake the CDS exams. Kindly note that OTA only has General knowledge and English exam.
All other detailed CDS Syllabus of the exam is given below to give you an insight into the topics that are important from CDS Exam syllabus:
This part of the exam includes the questions that are designed to assess the candidate’s knowledge and understanding of the English language and grammar. The main topics covered in the UPSC CDS Exam includes Para Jumbles, Fill in the blanks, GK, Errors, and Omissions, Sentence Correction, Comprehension Paragraph, Jumbled words, etc.
- General Knowledge
This exam includes questions from current events and such matters as personal experiences and scientific observations in everyday life. This includes everything that you study in school until what is in the news and everything around. For the preparation of this exam, you should watch the news regularly and the topics that are to be covered are as follows:
- Different topics from GK
- Questions from the section of honors and awards
- Trending topics from the niche of sports, world, business, technology, and entertainment
- Books name and their authors
- Topics from the Indian Army
- Indian History and Economics
- Indian map along with the World map
This exam is designed to understand the candidate’s knowledge in different fields of mathematics including geometry and trigonometry, Detailed exam syllabus includes topics such as:
Number System: Integers, Decimal fractions, multiplication, Rational and Real numbers, addition, subtraction, division, Square roots, Natural numbers
Elementary Number Theory: Division algorithm, Euclidean algorithm, prime and composite numbers, H.C.F. and L.C.M., Tests of divisibility, Multiples and factors. Factorization Theorem.
Unitary method: time and distance, variation, time and work, percentages, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, simple and compound interest.
Roots and coefficients, Simple factor, Remainder Theorem, polynomials, quadratic equations.
Sin functions, Cos functions, Tan functions, trigonometric identities, trigonometric tables, simple cases of heights and distances.
Lines and angles, Plane and plane figures, Theorems on Properties of angles at a point; Parallel lines; Sides and angles of a triangle, Congruency of triangles; Similar triangles; Concurrence of medians and altitudes; Properties of angles; sides and diagonals of a parallelogram; rectangle and square; Circles and its properties
Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle, and circle; Surface area and volume of cuboids, lateral surface and volume of right circular cones; cylinder, surface areas and volume of spheres.
Graphical representation frequency polygons; Calculations of central tendency, Histograms, Pie charts, bar charts, frequency polygons graphical representation.
- Along with this, you need to clear the second exam, which is a Personality Test and undertaken in the form of an interview.
- The entire interview is in English, so the candidates should also work upon their spoken English. A physical fitness test is also undertaken for qualified candidates.
- It is advisable to visit a good doctor to undergo a fitness test and also practice sports to be in the fitness parameters.
This is all the information related to the CDS Exam Pattern. If you want more information for the CDS Syllabus 2020, keep visiting our website.