Points to Remember:
- The tenure of CBDT Chairman Pramod Chandra Mody has been extended by an year.
- According to the order, the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved “re-appointment” of Mody for a period of one year. Mody was to retire on August 31.
- A 1982-batch Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax cadre) officer, Mody took over as the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) chief in February.
- His appointment came after Sushil Chandra, the then CBDT chief, was appointed as an Election Commissioner.
- The ACC in an another order appointed 1983-batch IRS officer Prabhash Shankar as a new member in the CBDT.
About CBDT Chairman:
- The Chairperson, Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) is the senior-most IRS civil servant in the Government of India.
- The Chairperson of CBDT is the ex officio Special Secretary to the Government of India and also cadre controlling authority of the Indian Revenue Service.
- Term length: No fixed tenure is imposed on the office but term can be extended
- Inaugural holder: Jamuna Prasad Singh
- Formation: 1944
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Who has been re-appointment as CBDT Chairman for a period of one year? Pramod Chandra Mody