Points to Remember:
- New Zealand passed a “zero carbon” bill that aims to reduce the country’s carbon emissions to zero by 2050 and meet its commitment under the Paris climate agreement.
- The bill was supported by both the ruling and the opposition parties.
- The bill will enshrine a new 2050 greenhouse gas reduction target into law and require that future governments have plans to meet the target. It will also establish a climate change commission and ensure future government’s plan and budget for adaption and mitigation.
About New Zealand:
- Capital: Wellington
- Monarch: Elizabeth II
- Governor-General: Patsy Reddy
- Prime Minister: Jacinda Ardern
- Currency: New Zealand dollar
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Recently New Zealand has passed a law that aims to reduce the country’s carbon emissions to zero by which year? 2050
- Recently New Zealand has passed a ___ bill that aims to reduce the country’s carbon emissions to zero by 2050. “zero carbon”