Points to Remember:
- China was ranked as the world’s worst abuser of internet freedom for the fourth consecutive year and Pakistan was declared as ‘not free’ in terms of internet freedom status for the ninth consecutive year in the Freedom on the Net (FoTN) report 2019.
- The Freedom on the Net report 2019 titled ‘The Crisis of Social Media’ was released by an international internet watchdog, the Freedom House on November 5, 2019. The report recorded an overall decline in global internet freedom status between July 2018 and May 2019.
- India was given an overall score of 55 in the report and the internet freedom status in the country was reported to be ‘partly free’.
- The report assessed 65 countries and 33 among them showed an overall decline in internet freedom since June 2018. Only 16 countries showed improvements in their internet freedom status.
- Some of the countries that showed the biggest decline in internet freedom include Sudan, Kazakhstan, Brazil, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.
- The country that recorded the biggest improvement in its internet freedom score in 2019 included Ethiopia.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Which country is the world’s worst abuser of internet freedom as per Freedom on the Net (FoTN) report 2019? China
- What is India’s Internet Freedom Status in the Freedom on the Net report 2019? Partly free
- Which country has recorded the biggest improvement in its internet freedom score in 2019? Ethiopia