Points to Remember:
- The Centre has approved Kerala’s request to bring private schools and colleges under the Maternity Benefit Act.
- Kerala Minister TP Ramakrishnan said the state will soon issue a notification in this regard.
- Kerala will become the first state to bring private educational institutions under the act, which regulates the employment of women for a specific period before and after childbirth.
About Maternity Benefit Act:
- The Maternity Benefit Act regulates the employment of women in certain establishments for a specific period before and after child-birth and provides for maternity and certain other benefits.
- It provides protection to women during the time of maternity and also gives women the cover of maternity benefit — to be absent from work without loss of pay while taking care of the child. While the original Act of 1961 authorises women paid leave of 12 weeks, the amendment in 2017 extended it to 26 weeks.
- Which state has become the first to bring private schools and colleges under the ambit of Maternity Benefit Act? Kerala
- Consider the following statements about ‘Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Act, 2017’
I- For women who are expecting after having 2 children, the duration of paid maternity leave shall be 12 weeks.
II– Maternity leave of 12 weeks to be available to mothers adopting a child below the age of three months.
III– The Maternity Benefit Amendment Act has also introduced “work from home” for women, which may be exercised after the expiry of the 26 weeks’ leave period.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct? All