Points to Remember:
- Argentine forward Lionel Messi was presented with his sixth Golden Shoe award after scoring 36 league goals for Barcelona last season.
- Messi is the first player to win the accolade for three successive years.
- He was presented the trophy by his sons Thiago and Mateo. Also marks 15 years since Messi’s debut match for Barcelona.
About European Golden Shoe 2019:
- The European Golden Shoe (also known as the European Golden Boot) is an award that is presented each season to the leading goalscorer in league matches from the top division of every European national league.
- The trophy is a sculpture of a football boot.
- Inception- 1967–68
- Originally presented by: L’Équipe magazine
- Awarded by: European Sports Media since the 1996–97 season.
- Gerd Müller was the first player to win the award twice, in 1970 and 1972.
- Eusébio was the first winner of the prize in 1968.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Who won his sixth European Golden Boot as the top scorer in the European leagues? Lionel Messi
- Who was the first winner of the European Golden Shoe award in 1968? Eusébio