Points to Remember:
- Anoop Kumar Mendiratta has been appointed as the new Law Secretary (Secretary, Legal Affairs) in the Union Law Ministry, according to a Personnel Ministry order.
- Mendiratta is at present the District and Sessions Judge, North-East District, Karkardooma Courts, Delhi.
- He has been appointed to the post on contractual basis till March 30, 2023, i.e. till his attaining the age of 60 years, the order said.
- The post of law secretary has been without a full-time officer since December last year.
- Secretary (Justice) Alok Shrivastava, an IAS officer, in the law ministry was till now holding the additional charge of law secretary.
- Usually the posts of secretary (legal affairs) also called the law secretary and secretary (legislative department) are held by Indian Legal Service officers.
- The Indian Legal Service has officers till the post of joint secretary, and additional secretaries and the secretary are “ex-cadre” officers.
About Ministry of Law and Justice (India):
- Formed: 1833
- Headquarters: Cabinet Secretariat, New Delhi
- Minister of Law and Justice: Ravi Shankar Prasad
- Child agencies: Department of legal affairs, Legislative department, Department of justice
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Who has been appointed as the new Law Secretary (Secretary, Legal Affairs) in the Union Law Ministry? Anoop Kumar Mendiratta
- Who is the current Minister of Law and Justice? Ravi Shankar Prasad