Points to Remember:
- Shri J.P.S. Chawla assumed charge as the new Controller General of Accounts, Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure
- Government of India has appointed Shri J. P. S. Chawla, 1985-batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) Officer as the new Controller General of Accounts (CGA), Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure with effect from October 15, 2019 on regular basis. Shri J. P. S. Chawla has however been officiating as CGA with effect from September 1, 2019.
About Shri J.P.S. Chawla:
- Shri Chawla is a bachelor of Engineering (BE) in mechanical engineering from the Delhi College of Engineering, Delhi. He has worked for four years with the Public Sector Engineering Enterprise, Engineers India Limited (EIL), prior to joining the Civil Services. During his 34-year career he has held various cadre posts at different levels in a number of Ministries/Departments with Prasar Bharti, Urban Development, Civil Aviation & Tourism and Agriculture to name a few. He has also served on deputation with the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) and served as Director (Finance) in the Indraprastha Power Generation Company Limited (IPGCL) and Pragati Power Limited (PPL).
- Prior to assuming the charge of CGA, Shri Chawla served as Principal Chief Controller of Accounts, Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC) where he was instrumental in the finalisation of the accounting procedure and operationalisation of GST Network (GSTN) before the national rollout of GST.
About Controller General of Accounts (CGA):
- Controller General of Accounts (CGA), in the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance, is the Principal Accounting Adviser to Government of India and is responsible for establishing and maintaining a technically sound Management Accounting System.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Who is the newly appointed Controller General of Accounts, Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure? J.P.S. Chawla
- Recently, J.P.S. Chawla has assumed charge as the new ___ in the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance. Controller General of Accounts (CGA)