Points to Remember:
- Air India became the first airline in the world to use a Taxibot on a A320 aircraft with passengers onboard.
- Taxibot is a robot-used aircraft tractor for taxiing an aircraft from parking bay to runway and vice versa.
- The national carrier’s Chairman and Managing Director Ashwani Lohani flagged off flight AI665 – which was carried to runway using Taxibot at terminal 3 of the Delhi airport – to Mumbai.
- With Taxibot it is possible to tow an aircraft from the parking bay to the runway with its engines switched off.
- It is a pilot controlled semi-robotic towbarless aircraft tractor used as an alternate taxiing equipment.
- According to its manufacturers, this saves 85 per cent of the fuel the plane would normally use at that time. It can also be used to tow planes after they have landed, although Air India intends to use them for departing flights only.
- In addition, the Taxibot is also expected to help cut down on CO2 emissions – up to 800 kilograms are emitted for every 15 minutes
- Noise pollution levels are also expected to drop – by as much as 60 per cent.
- Earlier this year Air India became the third domestic carrier to complete Taxibot trials; the other two were SpiceJet and Jet Airways. The trial was conducted on a Boeing 737-800 flight and its success meant all Boeing flights in the country could begin using the Taxibot
About Air India:
- Founded: 15 October 1932 (as Tata Airlines)
- Commenced operations 29 July 1946
- Hubs: Indira Gandhi International Airport (Delhi)
- Secondary hubs: Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (Mumbai)
- Subsidiaries: Air India Express, Alliance Air
- Company slogan: Air India… Truly Indian
- Chairman & MD: Ashwani Lohani
- Founder: J. R. D. Tata
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Which airline became the first airline in the world to use a Taxibot on a A320 aircraft with passengers onboard? Air India
- Recently, Air India became the first airline in the world to use a ___ on A320 Aircraft. Taxibot
- Earlier this year, which airline became the third domestic carrier to complete Taxibot trials? Air India