Points to Remember:
- The Indian women’s boxing contingent ended the World Boxing Championships campaign with a record four medals after Manju Rani bagged the silver in the 48kg category final.
- 19-year-old Manju lost the gold-medal bout 1-4 against 2nd seed Ekaterina Paltceva of Russia but still managed to finish as the best Indian performer in this edition.
- This was Manju’s maiden appearance at the World Championships.
- India finished with one silver and three bronze medals after Jamuna Boro, Lovlina Borgohain and MC Mary Kom clinched the bronze medals in their respective categories.
About AIBA World Boxing Championships:
- The AIBA World Boxing Championships and the AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships are biennial amateur boxing competitions organised by the International Boxing Association (AIBA), which is the sport governing body.
- The championships was first held in 1974 Havana, Cuba as a men’s only event and the first women’s championships was held over 25 years later in 2001
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Recently who became the first Indian woman boxer since six-time champion Mary Kom in 2001 to reach the finals of World Championships? Manju Rani
- Which country will host the men’s World Boxing Championship in 2021? India
- In which weight class, Manju Rani bagged the silver in World 2019 Women’s Boxing Championships? Light flyweight (48kg)
- How many medals won by India in 2019 AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships? 4 (one silver and three bronze