Points to Remember:
- The 2019 Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed Ali.
- He has been awarded for his decisive initiative to resolve the border conflict with Eritrea.
- Abiy Ahmed Ali, who took over as Ethiopia’s Prime Minister last year, is the 100th recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.
- He’s a former military officer specialising in cyber intelligence and has been recognised for restarting talks with Eritrea, ending a 20-year stalemate.
- Last year, the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad for their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of warfare.
- Capital: Addis Ababa
- President: Sahle-Work Zewde
- Prime Minister: Abiy Ahmed Ali
- Currency: Birr
About Nobel Prize:
- Awarded for: Outstanding contributions for humanity in chemistry, literature, peace, physics, physiology or medicine, and economic sciences
- Country : Sweden (all prizes except the Peace Prize), Norway (Peace Prize only)
- Presented by: Nobel Assembly at the Karolinska Institute (Physiology or Medicine), Norwegian Nobel Committee (Peace), Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (Chemistry, Economic Sciences, Physics), Swedish Academy (Literature)
- Reward(s): Prize money of 9 million SEK, approx. US$986,000 (2018);a medal;and a diploma
- First awarded: 1901
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Who has won the Nobel Peace Prize for 2019? Abiy Ahmed Ali
- Abiy Ahmed Ali, who has been honoured with 2019 Nobel Peace Prize, is a current Prime Minister of which country? Ethiopia
- Recently the Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed Ali has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize 2019 for his initiative to resolve the border conflict with which neighbouring country? Eritrea