Points to Remember:
- The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) bagged the first prize from the Centre for maintaining cleanliness within the institute premises and showing dedication towards the mission of the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’.
- Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan, along with Minister of State for Health Ashwini Kumar Choubey, presented the Kayakalp Awards to winners during an event held at the India Habitat Centre.
- The Health Ministry had prepared a list of central government institutions, district and private hospitals and community health centres for their work in maintaining high standards of sanitation and hygiene in public health facilities and awarded these hospitals under the ‘Kayakalp Awards Scheme’.
- JIPMER, Puducherry, was judged the runner-up in this category and awarded Rs 1.5 crore. The Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, and the Safdarjung Hospital, Delhi, won the Commendation Award of Rs 50 lakh each.
- In the Group B category, the winner was VBCH, Silvassa, which bagged Rs 2 crore, with AIIMS Bhubaneswar winning Rs 1 crore as runner-up.
- NEIGRIHMS, Shillong, LGBRIMH, Tezpur, and AIIMS, Bhopal, each won Rs 50 lakhs as Commendation Awards.
- Harsh Vardhan also felicitated the district hospitals, PHCs and CHCs, wherein 29 hospitals won the first prize, 14 were awarded the second prize and the third prize was won by 2 hospitals.
About Kayakalp Award:
- The Kayakalp Award was instituted as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan on May 15, 2015 as a national initiative to recognise and felicitate public health facilities that demonstrate high levels of cleanliness, hygiene and infection-control measures on promoting cleanliness in public spaces.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Which institute has bagged the first prize under the Kayakalp Awards Scheme for maintaining cleanliness within the institute premises and showing dedication towards the mission of the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’? All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
- In which year, Kayakalp Awards Scheme was introduced as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan? 2015