Points to Remember:
- The government appointed economist Surjit Bhalla as Executive Director (India) at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for a period of three years.
- The post was lying vacant after the death of Subir Gokarn in July.
- Bhalla was a part-time member of the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council until December 2018.
- Formation: 27 December 1945
- Type: International financial institution
- Purpose: Promote international monetary co-operation, facilitate international trade, foster sustainable economic growth, make resources available to members experiencing balance of payments difficulties
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C. U.S.
- Membership: 189 countries
- Managing Director (MD): Kristalina Georgieva (Bulgaria)
- Chief Economist: Gita Gopinath (India)
- Parent organization: United Nations
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Who has been appointed as the Executive Director for India at the International Monetary Fund (IMF)? Surjit Bhalla
- Who is the current Managing Director of International Monetary Fund (IMF)? Kristalina Georgieva
- Name the Parent organization of International Monetary Fund (IMF)? United Nations