Points to Remember:
- Indian tennis player Sumit Nagal, who faced 20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer in US Open, won Buenos Aires Challenger title and jumped to a career-best rank of 135.
- Nagal figured in the government’s Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS), receiving financial support for some time but was later dropped.
- The scheme offers a monthly financial aid of Rs 50,000 to athletes who are medal prospects at the Olympics.
- The estimated required annual budget for Nagal is around 220,000 euros (Rs 1.5 crore).
About Challenger de Buenos Aires:
- The Copa San Cristóbal is a tennis tournament held in Buenos Aires, Argentina, since 2010.
- The event is part of the ATP Challenger Tour and is played on outdoor red clay courts.
- Founded: 2010, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Category: ATP Challenger Tour
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Recently which Indian tennis player won the Buenos Aires Challenger title 2019? Sumit Nagal
- In context to Tennis, what doest TOPS stands for? Target Olympic Podium Scheme