Points to Remember:
- Thackeray’s cat snake, a newly discovered species was named after Tejas, the younger son of Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray, for his contribution to the find.
- It was discovered in the Western Ghats in Maharashtra by Tejas in 2015.
- The species falls in the category commonly called as cat snakes and belongs to the genus Boiga, a source said.
- Tejas Thackeray spotted this species for the first time in 2015 and studied its behaviour in detail.
- He presented these details to the Foundation for Biodiversity Conservation and helped us with further research.
- This new snake is arboreal, mostly seen close to forest streams, and is active during the night.
- It is non-venomous and is known to grow up to three feet in length.
- It feeds on eggs of Humayun’s night frog (Nyctibatrachushumayuni).
- This behaviour was never reported in cat snakes from the Western Ghats earlier.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- What is the name of the new snake species which is named after Uddhav Thackeray’s younger son? Tejas