Points to Remember:
- Army chief General Bipin Rawat will take over as the chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC).
- He will replace Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa who will be retiring by the end of this month.
- The Army Chief is scheduled to retire on December 31.
- Air Chief Marshal Dhanoa had taken charge of Chairman of COSC from then Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba on May 29.
About COSC :
- The Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC) comprises chiefs of the Army, the Navy and the Air Force and the senior most member is appointed its chairperson.
- The senior-most among the chiefs of the three services is appointed as the chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee.
- The Chairman of COSC is tasked with ensuring synergy among the three services and evolve common strategy to deal with external security challenges facing the country.
- Army Chief: Bipin Rawat
- Air Chief Marshal: Birender Singh Dhanoa
- Navy Chief: Karambir Singh
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Recently who will take over as the chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee (COSC)? Bipin Rawat
- In context to defence, what does COSC stands for? Chiefs of Staff Committee