Points to Remember:
- China has launched its first amphibious assault ship, the Type 075, in Shanghai.
- The Type 075 would be able to carry up to 30 helicopters, amphibious tanks, aircraft, armoured vehicles, jet boats and hundreds of marines, reports quoting sources said.
- It can be used to launch planes with vertical or short takeoff and vertical landing capability.
The Type 075, which has been in development since at least 2011, is estimated to have a displacement of 40,000 tons, a length of 250 meters and a speed of 23 knots.
- Her size is slightly behind the US Navy’s counterparts, the 41,000 ton Wasp-class and the 45,000 ton America-class, but far ahead of those operated by France, Australia, Spain, Japan, and South Korea.
- The capabilities of Type 075 are significantly improved compared to the Type 071, also known as the Yuzhao-class, which currently serves as the backbone for the Chinese navy’s amphibious assault operations but carry only two helicopters.
- China, officially the People’s Republic of China, is a country in East Asia and the world’s most populous country, with a population of around 1.404 billion in 2017.
- Covering approximately 9,600,000 square kilometers, it is the third or fourth largest country by total area.
- President: Xi Jinping
- Capital: Beijing
- Currency: Renminbi
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Which country has launched its first amphibious assault ship, the Type 075? China
- What is the currency of China? Renminbi