Points to Remember:
- Air-to-Air missile Astra has been successfully flight tested off the coast of Odisha. The missile was launched from Su-30 MKI as a part of User trials. The live aerial target was engaged accurately demonstrating the capability of first indigenous air-to-air missile.
- The mission profile was executed in a text book manner. Various Radars, Electro-Optical Tracking System (EOTS) and Sensors tracked the missile and confirmed its engagement with target.
- The Astra missile, which can fly towards its target at a speed of over 5,555 kilometres per housr (4.5 Mach) with a 15 kilogramme high-explosive pre-fragmented warhead, was test-fired under the guidance of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- Astra is an all weather beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation, India.
- It is the first air-to-air missile developed by India. It features mid-course inertial guidance with terminal active radar homing.
- Astra is designed to be capable of engaging targets at varying range and altitudes allowing for engagement of both short-range targets at a distance of 20 km (12 mi) and long-range targets up to a distance of 80 km (50 mi).
- Astra has been integrated with Indian Air Force’s Sukhoi Su-30MKI and will be integrated with Dassault Mirage 2000 and Mikoyan MiG-29 in the future. Limited series production of Astra missiles began in 2017
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Name the India’s first Air-to-Air missile, which has been successfully flight tested from an IAF’s Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighter jet recently? Astra missile
- Astra missile, which is in news recently, is developed by: Defence Research and Development Organisation