Points to Remember:
- The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has imposed a record $170 million fine on Google and YouTube for illegally collecting personal information from children without their parents’ consent.
- YouTube earned millions of dollars by using ‘cookies’ to deliver targeted advertisements to viewers, FTC said.
- The US law requires parental consent prior to collecting personal information from children aged below 13.
About US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) :
- The Federal Trade Commission is an independent agency of the United States government, established in 1914 by the Federal Trade Commission Act.
- Agency executive: Joseph Simons, Chairman
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Jurisdiction: United States
- Founder: Woodrow Wilson
- Founded: 26 September 1914
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Recently who has been fined $170 mn for illegally collecting data from kids? Google & YouTube
- How much fine has been imposed on Google & YouTube by FTC for illegally collecting personal information from children? $ 170 million