Points to Remember:
- Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju has handed over 1.82 crore rupees to the medallists of the Para-Badminton World Championship, amending the policy for para-athletes to make them eligible for more cash awards.
- As per the amended guidelines, medal winners in world events and world championships, organised by International Paralympic Committee, International Sports Federation and recognised by International Olympic Committee, will be eligible for cash awards from the government.
- The first set of athletes who received their cash awards under the changed guidelines are para-badminton players. They have just won 12 medals at the recently-concluded World Championships.
- While the gold medal winners took home 20 lakh rupees, the silver medallists were given 14 lakhs and bronze winners 8 lakhs each. Winners in the doubles events won 15 lakh rupees each for gold, 10.5 lakh each for silver and six lakhs for bronze.
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Recently Sports Minister has awarded over ___ to the medalists of the Para-badminton World Championship. Rs 1.82 crore
Read More at Live Mint