Points to Remember:
- The Badminton Association of India has announced a cash reward of 20 lakh rupees for P.V. Sindhu and five lakh for B. Sai Praneeth for their achievements in the BWF World Championship.
- Sindhu became the first Indian to win a Badminton World Championships gold by beating familiar rival Nozomi Okuhara of Japan in a lop-sided final at Basel, Switzerland.
- Sai Praneeth won a bronze and became only the second Indian men’s singles player after the legendary Prakash Padukone to win a medal at the Championships.
About PV Sindhu :
- Pusarla Venkata Sindhu (born 5 July 1995)is an Indian professional badminton player.
- She is the first Indian to win the BWF World Championships.
- She is also one of the two Indian badminton players to ever win an Olympic medal – the other being Saina Nehwal.
- In 2013, she became the first ever Indian women’s singles player to win a medal at the Badminton World Championships
- In 2019, she became the second woman after Zhang Ning to win five medals at the world championships.
- In March 2015, she is the recipient of India’s fourth highest civilian honor, the Padma Shri.
About 2019 BWF World Championships :
- The Total 2019 BWF World Championships is a badminton tournament which is held from 19 to 25 August at St. Jakobshalle in Basel, Switzerland
- Edition: 25th
- Men’s singles: Kento Momota (Japan)
- Women’s singles: P. V. Sindhu (India)
- Men’s doubles: Mohammad Ahsan (Indonesia), Hendra Setiawan (Indonesia)
- Women’s doubles: Mayu Matsumoto (Japan), Wakana Nagahara (Japan)
- Mixed doubles: Zheng Siwei (China), Huang Yaqiong (China)
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- How much cash reward has been announced for P.V. Sindhu by Badminton Association of India for her historic triumph in World Badminton Championship? 20 lakh rupees
- The Badminton Association of India has announced a cash reward of ___for B. Sai Praneeth for his recent achievement in the BWF World Championship. five lakh rupees
Read More at India Today