Points to Remember:
- Senior BJP leader and former Finance Minister Arun Jaitley passed away at the age of 66 at Delhi’s AIIMS.
- Jaitley, a lawyer by profession, had been a key member of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Cabinet in the BJP government’s first term. He held the finance and defence portfolios, and often acted as the chief troubleshooter of the government. Arun Jaitley did not contest the 2019 Lok Sabha election, presumably because of his ill-health.
- In May this year, Jaitley was admitted to AIIMS for treatment. He had undergone a renal transplant on May 14 last year at AIIMS with Railways Minister Piyush Goyal filling in for him in the finance ministry at that time.
- In September 2014, he underwent bariatric surgery to correct the weight he had gained because of a long-standing diabetic condition.
About Arun Jaitley :
(28 December 1952 – 24 August 2019)
- Party Belongs: Bharatiya Janata Party
- Political Career
- Finance Minister: 26 May 2014 – 30 May 2019
- Minister of Corporate Affairs: 26 May 2014 – 30 May 2019
- Minister of Defence: 13 March 2017 – 3 September 2017 & 26 May 2014 – 9 November 2014
- Minister of Information and Broadcasting: 9 November 2014 – 5 July 2016
- Minister of Law and Justice: 29 July 2003 – 22 May 2004 & 7 November 2000 – 1 July 2002
- Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting: 13 October 1999 – 30 September 2000
- Book: Articles and Speeches by Arun Jaitley A Compilation (2014)
- Accolade: Finance Minister of the Year by Emerging Markets (London)
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Name the former Finance Minister, who recently passed away? Arun Jaitley
Read More at BusinessToday