Points to Remember:
- The Department of Social Justice signed an MoU with National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) to enhance outreach on AIDS prevention, address the risk of HIV transmission among all substance users and to empower the discriminated and vulnerable groups such as victims of HIV/AIDS, drug abuse and female sex workers.
- The agreement was signed by Additional Secretary, Department of Social Justice Upma Srivastava and Special Secretary and Director General (NACO & RNTCP) Sanjeev Kumar in the presence of Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr. Harsh
- The MoU will help in developing human resources and build capacity in order to strengthen the service delivery mechanisms for HIV and AIDS prevention, drug addiction treatment and referral to services offered by National AIDS Control Programme and DoSJE
- Vardhan added that the government is fully committed to meeting all the set goals to eliminate HIV/AIDS by 2030.
About NACO (National AIDS Control Organisation):
- NACO has played a very big role in significantly reducing the prevalence of HIV/AIDS in India, faster than the global rates.
- NACO is “the nodal organisation for formulation of policy and implementation of programs for prevention and control of HIV/AIDS in India.
- Formation: 1992
- Purpose: HIV/AIDS control programme in India
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Parent organisation: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
Important Possible questions based on above News:
- Recently the Department of Social Justice has signed an MoU with which organisation to enhance outreach on AIDS prevention? National AIDS Control Organization (NACO)
- Where is the headquarters of NACO (National AIDS Control Organisation) situated? New Delhi
Read More at PIB